AERO Graduate Program
While Cal Poly is well known for producing top quality aerospace engineers with a BS degree, the Aerospace Engineering Department also maintains a vigorous Graduate Program. We offer a Master of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering with a specialization in either Research or Space Systems Engineering as well as a Graduate Certificate Program in Space Systems Technology. This program will prepare the practicing engineer for work in the space industry in key areas of spacecraft technology.
For general information about the Graduate Program at Cal Poly, and any available resources for graduate students, visit the Graduate Education office. Starting in 2014, fall will be the only term that applications for the AERO Masters program will be accepted. Applications are due January 1st with a file completion date of February 1st. Click here to apply for the AERO Masters program.
Once you are admitted to graduate study in the Aerospace Engineering Department, all graduate students must complete the forms below prior to graduation. The graduate student checklist provides a step by step timeline to ensure you are awarded your degree, come graduation.
- Postbaccalaureate Change of Objective (BMS or Blended Program students only)
- Working Formal Study Plan
- Advancement to candidacy
- Final Formal Study Plan
- Master's Thesis Approval Form
- Request for Graduation Evaluation
You can locate and upload all of these forms by clicking this link.
Finally, all graduate students in the Research Specialization are required to abide by the Graduate Student Timeline.
For questions about the gradaute program, contact the Aerospace Engineering Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Eric Mehiel.
Graduate Application Process
All information regarding the graduate application process can be found by clicking this link.
Three recommendation letters are required for each graduate application. In order to submit these recommendation letters, each applicant must create an Interfolio account. Below are the steps to create an Interfolio account:
- Go to grad.calpoly.edu
- Click on the Students tab
- On the right hand side of the page under "Prospective Students," click Master's Degree Programs
- Scroll down to "College of Engineering" and locate Aerospace Engineering, MS
- Click on the link to the right of Aerospace Engineering titled Interfolio Link 22101. Click this link to go directly to the Interfolio site.
- Once at the Interfolio site, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Apply button
- Create an Interfolio account and through this account, each applicant is able to submit their letters of recommendation.
Graduate Student Deadlines
Application deadlines can be found on the Cal Poly Catalog page.
Blended Program application deadlines are March 1 (Spring), May 1 (Fall), and December 1 (Winter). Applications must include a Working Formal Study Plan and a Blended Thesis Proposal.